For all of you who might be interested in undertaking a Vision Quest, I would like to share with you some powerful shamanic journey meditations. They work on the principle of direct revelation. These meditations are helpful to make your experience very rewarding, whether you are going on a traditional Vision Quest, at a sacred spot in the wilderness, or are sitting at home, listening to iAwake Technologies’ audio VisionQuest. I hope you find the following instructions, suggestions, and meditations supremely useful.
Set Your Intention
First of all, it is important to get very clear about the purpose and intention of your Vision Quest.
- Do you wish to open up to new direction, inspiration, and vision in your life?
- Do you want to look at and resolve inner conflicts that have been holding you back in certain situations?
- Are you hoping to regain a sense of inner strength, self-esteem, self-love, and confidence around a situation?
- Are you looking for clarity around a specific subject?
- Is there a problem in your life that seems hopeless to you and that you’d like to receive an “outside the box” solution to?
- Do you wish to recover a part of you that you may have lost in a relationship or a traumatic experience?
- Is there an emotional heaviness or weight that you’d like to release?
Ask these and similar questions, and trust your intuition to guide you into the right intention and purpose for your journey. Now, write down your intention and purpose in a journal reserved for your insights while vision questing.
Alternatively, you may decide that you just want to explore the Lower, Middle, or Upper Worlds, which in various shamanic traditions are the three divisions of the one unseen reality behind physical manifestation. If this is all you wish to do, it is perfectly fine, but be clear about your intention and purpose.
Different people have different ways in which they most easily “visualize” something, and these ways aren’t always visual in nature. You might simply have a general feeling or sense of something as you visualize it, rather than explicitly seeing it in a vivid way. You might simply “know” it inwardly, or smell it, or hear it. Any way you “visualize” inwardly is perfectly fine. As you follow these journeying meditations, just trust your intuition to visualize in whatever way is perfect for the moment.
YOUR FIRST JOURNEY: JOURNEY TO THE LOWER WORLD
Your first journey should follow this meditation, in which you will meet your power animal.
- Begin by imagining yourself in a place of nature that you’ve visited before.
- This place should have a natural opening into the earth: a tree with roots that go deep into the ground, the opening of a volcano, cave, hole, lake, stream, river, or waterfall.
- It might work better for you to imagine moving downward in an elevator, on a conveyor, or through a tunnel. That’s fine too.
- Imagine moving into the opening and down into the earth.
- Continue through this transition until you emerge into a light.
- Pay attention to the surrounding landscape, and see if you notice an animal anywhere.
- If you notice an animal, ask it if it is your power animal.
- Your power animal may respond in any number of ways: by speaking telepathically, or by leading you somewhere to show you something.
- If this is your power animal, do only one of the following (remember that we want to be clear about our intention for the journey, being sure to stick to only one purpose/intention):
- Ask the one question you decided upon before embarking upon the journey.
- Ask for a tour of the Lower World.
- Ask the power animal what its essential, overarching message is regarding your life as a whole.
ADDITIONAL JOURNEYS: JOURNEY TO THE MIDDLE WORLD
This is the unseen world behind the physicality of things, wherein the spirits of the sun, moon, plants, and rocks dwell. This is a powerful way to experientially learn the secrets of nature.
- Imagine walking out the door of your home.
- Travel to any physical dimension with which you’d like to commune and from which you’d like to learn. This could be a place where a specific type of plant resides; it might be a place with a certain type of rock or crystal; or it might be a star, a planet, a moon, or a solar system.
- If you are interested in understanding the essence of proper timing, for example, you might choose to visit a solar system and experientially commune with its natural cycles.
- Pay attention to the peculiar language of whatever spirit you are communing with, and trust that your spirit will understand its message and communicate it to you adequately.
- You may notice other “spirits” during your journeys as well. Pay attention to them, and let them teach you.
JOURNEY TO THE UPPER WORLD
Your first journey to the Upper World will be to meet a teacher in human form.
- Imagine yourself in a place in nature where you can travel upward: a mountain, a ladder, a giant tree, a rope, a wind, or a vortex that carries you upward; a large bird can carry you.
- Alternatively, imagine an elevator or a conveyor belt moving upward.
- Before entering into the Upper World, you will typically travel through a layer of transition, like fog, clouds, or mist.
- After passing through, you will typically arrive in the first level of the Upper World. If you’re still seeing planets and stars, you haven’t passed through the transition into the first level of the Upper World yet.
- After emerging into the Upper World, see if you notice a human figure anywhere.
- If your teacher is not present on the first level of the Upper World, keep searching through the higher levels until you find your teacher.
- Ask the person if they are your teacher.
- If this is your teacher, do only one of the following (remember that we want to be clear about our intention for the journey, being sure to stick to only one purpose/intention):
- Ask the one question you decided upon before embarking upon the journey.
- Ask for a tour of the Upper World.
- Ask for clarity and insight into a recurring problem that has been troubling you.
- Ask for help in releasing the limitations that have kept you from realizing a goal.
- Ask for help in looking at and releasing emotional pain, bitterness, resentment, fear, or shame that you have been carrying for a while.
- Ask your teacher what its essential, overarching message is regarding your life as a whole.
We, at iAwake Technologies, would love to hear from you readers and Vision Quest practitioners anything you would like to share about your experiences while doing a shamanic journey. Thank you!
Eric Thompson is a co-founder of iAwake Technologies, LLC and was its Chief Technology Officer. Although no longer with iAwake Technologies, his contributions have been immense. Eric is also an inventor, researcher, and producer, and is considered one of the world’s foremost brainwave entrainment experts. In addition, Eric is a pioneer in the development of biofield entrainment technology, which digitally captures and transmits life-enhancing and beneficial subtle energies to the human biofield via any digital medium, including pictures, audio, and film. By combining this emerging technology with an unconventional, innovative, and original approach to audio brainwave entrainment, Eric strives to make profound spiritual development and emotional freedom more easily accessible to all. He writes and speaks on the intersection between neuroscience, psychology, subtle energy, and spirituality.