Have you ever been so fully engaged in something – a creative practice, a sport, a conversation, a meditation, or even (gasp) your job – that it felt completely effortless? Perhaps your sense of time seemed to fall away, and the hours flew by in what felt like a matter of minutes. Or maybe time slowed down, and every second of your experience came alive in rich and vivid detail? When this happens, our “inner critic” goes silent, freeing us from the doubt and fear that held us back. Action merges with awareness. We trust our intuition. And we experience the richest, most enjoyable moments of our lives.
If you’ve ever experienced what I’m describing, you’ve experienced what psychologists call the “flow” state. Athletes call it “being in the zone”. For experienced meditators, it’s jhana. Characterized by selflessness, timelessness, effortlessness, and richness, the flow state helps us perform at our best, live our happiest and most fulfilled lives, and bring our gifts to the world. Most of us have had this experience at some point in our lives. For many, though, this state of flow feels elusive, like the stars need to align under perfect conditions for the experience to unfold.
Steven Kotler and Jamie Wheal have written a fascinating book on flow states, called Stealing Fire: How Silicon Valley, the Navy SEALs, and Maverick Scientists Are Revolutionizing the Way We Live and Work, in which they explore the ways in which people are purposefully accessing states of flow. They don't know about iAwake and Stealing Flow - yet.
Stealing Flow supports:
- more creative brainstorming
- intuitive problem-solving
- a capacity to focus for longer periods of time
- flow states for creative work like writing, drawing, painting, designing, journaling, coding
- a pick-me-up when energy is flagging
- great support for ADHD
- restoring balance and rekindling your energy after a period of work
- winding down after a stressful day
- a light meditation when your nervous system needs to recover and integrate the insights and neurological push of deeper meditative states.
Who are these tracks for?
- Professionals: executives - lawyers - physicians & healthcare professionals
- Students at all levels
- Creatives: writers - artists - designers
- Meditators: from beginners to advanced
- People working in open space work environments or cubicles
- Digital nomads - telecommuters
- Individuals in the military, law enforcement, fire departments , emergency response teams
About the Stealing Flow tracks
01 Warm-up is a full-spectrum, whole-brain workout. Ideally used before beginning the day’s work, or as a morning meditation.
02 Stealing Flow - with subtle affirmations is a program for inducing flow in creative work.
03 Stealing Flow - clean is very similar to the previous track, but it excludes the subtle affirmations.
04 High Focus, in addition to providing a pick-me-up when energy is flagging, is excellent for editing, proofreading, or debugging.
05 Breakthrough is a deep theta track designed for brainstorming, problem-solving, and creative exploration.
06 Release, Relax, Recharge is used to wind down when you need a break.
From the developer of Stealing Flow
What people are saying ...
I found Warm-Up to be an amazing track. The blending of alpha, delta, gamma and then back to alpha seemed to really give me the jump start I needed in the morning.
High Focus is really great for getting things done and seems to increase energy as well.
Loved the confidence and feelings of well-being and belonging generated by Stealing Flow - with affirmations.
– Heidi Mitchell
I loved these tracks and used them every day whilst working. They increased my output and helped me achieve more effortlessly.